Once you've got a product or service idea, starting a business isn't all that hard. The internet, social media and mobile devices make it so easy today. But there is more to being a business owner than being an employee.
Here are five things you need to do for your business:
1. Open bank accounts. One of the biggest mistakes businesses owners can make is to co-mingle their personal and business accounts. Go to your local bank and open up a new checking and savings account for your business. All profits should go in here. All expenses should come out of here. If you get a business credit card, link it to these accounts.
2. Get a business license. Not all owners need a license, but first you need to check with your local government to see whether or not you do. If you do, it will be a small cost, usually less than $50. Often you need it for doing your taxes, so that the IRS knows you have a business.
3. Buy business insurance. It's a wise investment. Business insurance isn't an investment in that you'll earn money from it. Rather it will protect you. It can protect the assets you already have. Work with an insurance agent to learn what business insurance will cover in your line of work. Then buy a policy that is most appropriate for your business.
4. Create new email and social media accounts. Keep your old personal ones of course, but get new ones. Like your bank accounts, this will just streamline everything. Use these on your business cards and in any advertising you do, both on and off line. These accounts can help protect your personal and public business from mixing.
5. Build a website. There are lots of options for both free and paid websites. At the very least, choose a simple free one so that you have a way for people to find you virtually. Link to your social media accounts. Start a blog to give away free content. Create an email list so you can market your products to interested people.
There's actually very little you need to do to start your business. Nonetheless, every step you take is important to you business' success and safety. Don't worry if you haven't done any one of these yet. Take action today so that you can run your business as easily as possible.
Need business insurance? Keats Insurance Agencies can help you get a policy quote fast and for free. Call us at 516-354-4849 for more information.